In the passage of the Baroque gate, there is an original iron-clad gate, in front of which a drawbridge was placed. Above the gate there are pitch noses into which hot pitch was poured if necessary. In 1746, they called this bastion Bierfas, meaning beer barrel.
A valuable Renaissance portal has been preserved in the passage of the gate. This entrance to the castle was also secured by a trap door. The Renaissance gate lost its mission in the 17th century, when a new Baroque gate (1) was built.
After the first courtyard was built in the twenties of the 17th century (before 1627), the bastion lost its original defensive function and one of the three embrasures was rebuilt into a gate through which one walked from the first to the second courtyard.
In the past, this room served as a room for the castle captain. The history of Ľubovňa Castle and its most important royal visits are presented on four walls:
– the castle was built at the turn of the 13th and 14th centuries. Hungarian King Ondrej III. 1311 – the first written mention of the castle. At that time it was owned by Palatine Omodeja Abu.
1317 – the king donated the castle and its surroundings to his faithful follower Filip Drugeth. The Drughet family owned the castle until 1342.
1st half of the 14th century – King Ludovít I the Great elevated the city of Stará Ľubovňa to a free royal city. The image of this king is found in the largest painting in the room, opposite the entrance in the center.
1392 – visit of the Hungarian Queen Maria of Anjou in 1392
1396 – Sigismund of Luxembourg visited the castle for the first time. His picture is on the wall opposite the entrance on the left side.
1412 – Sigismund of Luxemburg and Vladislav II met at the castle. Jagiełło (picture on the wall opposite the entrance on the right) and signed a peace agreement. At the same time, they agreed here that Vladislav would lend Žigmund 37,000 Prague groskies, for which Žigmund gave him 13 Spiš cities and 3 free royal cities. The reserve deed is in a glass case between the two kings.
1494 – the Polish king Ján Albrecht II came to the castle. and stayed here with his entourage for several days
In the lapidary, there are commemorative plaques documenting the rebuilding of the castle associated with the Lubomír family. The last three rooms on the lower floor are dedicated to the palace’s purpose-built spaces from the 19th century: the kitchen, oven loaders and storage.
In 1617, cannons were named here: dragon, cat, bagpipe, falcon. Along the perimeter, there are vents, or shafts that ensured the ventilation of underground passages – casemates. It is the only preserved bastion of this type in Slovakia (the so-called ear bastion).
The other two rooms are dedicated to the first private owners of the castle, the Raisz family, who owned the castle in the years 1825 – 1880. There is a preserved dry toilet near the staircase, which had its own shaft outside the walls. The last two rooms focus on the Zamoyski family, who used the castle mainly for representational purposes.
From the palace, it was possible to go to the upper part of the tower from the level of the third floor. In 1746, this castle building was called the treasury.
On the second floor was the prison, which was also recognized by the famous adventurer Móric Beňovský in 1768. There was a warehouse on the third floor, a gunpowder store on the fourth, a room with two cannons on the fifth, and a trumpeter’s room (currently a viewing room) on the sixth. From the tower there is a nice view of the Tatras and the Three Crowns in Pieniny.
In the lower part, they cut a brewery in the rock, above it there was a bakery, above the bakery there was a kitchen and warehouses. In the highest part, the representative hall and living rooms. Currently, there is an exhibition about the construction of the castle in the upper part, and an exposition of distillery and brewing in the lower part.
Dňa 29. júna 2023 je hrad Ľubovňa z technických príčin zatvorený!
Skanzen pod hradom je otvorený od 9.00 – 19.00 h, posledný vstup o 18.00 h. Ďakujeme za pochopenie.