Castle: 052/43 220 30 | Open-air museum: 052/43 239 82 | Museum: 052/43 224 22

Zámocká 22, 064 01 Stará Ľubovňa

Exposition – Museum

Greek Catholic church
from Matysová

The dominant feature of the exhibition is the wooden Greek Catholic church dedicated to St. Michael the Archangel, built in 1833. It belongs to the important monuments of folk sacral architecture in the east Slovakia. It is a log single-nave structure with a sanctuary that has a polygonal cap and vestibule, above which a tall tower rises. The interior of the church is decorated with an iconostasis.

It consists of baroque classicist, decorative three-row architecture from l. half 18th century. To the left of the iconostasis there is a side altar of the Transfiguration of the Lord from the 2nd half. 17th century until the beginning of the 18th century. The origin of the circular object, suspended from the ceiling in the center of the nave, is linked to a legend from the middle of the 17th century, which has been preserved in the village. The church was moved to the exhibition in 1979 and re-consecrated in 1991. During important church holidays, liturgies and devotions are held here in the Old Slavic language.

A corner with a table in which the walls are decorated with religious paintings
saints, they called (švatij kut). Simple folk furniture had a multifunctional use. Three weddings and four funerals were celebrated in this house. However, the house was not a shelter for the newborn. The house was occupied by a childless couple until the last moment. In addition to agriculture, the owner of the house was engaged in the tinsmith’s craft and often spent his travels in Hungary.

Apartment building
from Veľký Lipník from 1922

From an architectural and typological point of view, it is a symmetrical three-room house with basic spaces - room - pitvor - chamber. This type of floor plan was found in Slovak and Ruthenian villages around Stara Ľubovna. In a traditional room, the rule of placing a fireplace, a corner with a table, a bed, benches, etc., applied.

Seasonal field dwellings
from Litmanová

They were built on branch farms up to 10 km from the village. The last owner of these buildings was Vasiľ Hlinka. They were the subject of inheritance in two generations. Buildings together with meadow, soil and forest formed (maidan). A residential two-room building was called (chiška), an economic building (staňa).

The buildings were used for housing by families throughout the summer, where they also came with cattle. The purpose of this management was to ensure enough fodder for livestock during the summer and for the whole winter. During the meadow work, it was cheerful on the surrounding mountains. Singing rang out from the fireplace not only during the day, but also late in the evening.

They were placed in the yard or outside the yard, usually in front of houses. They often formed terraced buildings along the stream. The interior has two floors. Grain was stored in board dams, in sheds and in sections. Chests with clothing, weaving tools, etc. were commonly found here. Granary doors were usually fitted with massive locks.

from Veľká Lesná

It was built at the end of the 19th century. It has an original log construction, shaped like a truncated pyramid at the top. The gable roof structure is loosely placed on the vault, which could be quickly thrown down in case of fire. Granaries with the same construction were found in the eastern part of this region. From the outside, they were glued with a thick layer of clay and then whitewashed.

House of the municipality
the mayor from Veľká Lesná

It is a Goral house from Spišské Zamaguri. It was built by Štefan Čensčák in 1909. The house originally had a large gate (pedestrian walkway) in the front, which led to the closed courtyard. The front of the house is the longitudinal side oriented to the south. It has a symmetrical floor plan with the room located in the middle of the house.

The pitvor was not originally heated, with the construction of a stove after the Second World War, it turns into a kitchen. The owner owned 6 ha of land, a couple of horses, he made extra money as a coachman. He transported local residents to the nearest railway station in Podolínec by truck. He was a municipal magistrate for several years. Two generations lived in the house, they enjoyed the birth of 8 children, celebrated 5 marriages here.

The other members of the family slept on benches and on the stove in the morgue. There is also an oven for baking bread in the mortuary. It represents the oldest type of bread oven preserved in Upper Spiš. Before entering the oven, it was cooked on an open hearth. The smoke was vented to the attic by a trap. To create the interior of the house, exhibits were obtained from the village of Litmanová.

The house of the shepherd from Litmanová

A two-room house of a local shepherd from 1921, whose owner was Adam Šepták, originally from the nearby Polish town of Muszyna. Originally, it stood at the end of the village and the locals called it (Pastirňa). The main living space in the house was a room with simple furnishings. The parents used a bed for sleeping, the baby a cradle hanging from the attic.

Farmstead from Údol

This homestead was built by the farmer Mikuláš Soroka in the 1920s. A residential house, barn, barn and granary are built on the estate. A three-room house with a side chamber is typical for the Carpathian region and its occurrence extends beyond the vicinity of Stara Ľubovna. The basic spaces in the house are the room, the den and the chamber. The interior of the room is arranged for the life of an extended family - for the parents and the family of the married son.

In the house there is an interesting fireplace built on the inner wall of the room and the mortuary. It represents a combination of a stove and a bread oven, the mouth of which with an open hearth and stove is in the mortuary. The interior of the room, especially the place around the table, brings closer the celebration of Christmas in the circle of a close family. The owner of the homestead owned 9 ha of agricultural land, he was considered a rich farmer in the village. In addition to farming, he was engaged in the production of cooper’s products (wooden containers for water, milk, butter dishes, shovels, etc.) 1 child was born in the house. They celebrated 3 marriages in the family.

Teachers from Bohemia and various parts of Slovakia used to come to our area for placement. School attendance was compulsory for children from 6 to 12 years old. In the past, the school was rarely fully occupied. The children had to help at home with agricultural work and herding cattle. They mostly attended school in the winter.

Family house from Údol

The house was built in 1947 by the Murck family. The building represents the last developmental stage of a wooden house in this area in terms of architectural and floor plan solutions. Only one family lived in this house and it had a room, a kitchen, a den and a pantry. In the house, there is an exhibition of the national school from the period of the 1st Czechoslovak Republic connected with the apartment for the teacher.

Carpentry workshop

Built as a copy of the original from 1928. The owner of the original workshop was a carpenter - naturalist. He made windows, doors, beds, benches with backs, kitchen shelves and agricultural tools for local residents.

In the past, the work of a carpenter was very arduous, especially demanding on the manual processing of material. Basic working tools of a village carpenter are installed in the interior.

In the interior of the house there is an exhibition dedicated to tinkering. The village of Jarabina in Spiš is known as the tinsmith’s village. In the vicinity of Stara Ľubovna, in addition to Jarabina, there were also other tinsmith villages – Litmanová, Kamienka, Stránany, Veľký Lipník. Already in the 19th century, almost without exception, all young and middle-aged men went to Romania, Hungary, Yugoslavia and Subcarpathian Russia to earn money. The exhibition brings together all kinds of work by the Spiš tinsmiths.

House from Jarabina

The owner of the house from 1930 was Vasiľ Jaseník and his wife Mária, née Vislocka. From a typological point of view, it represents a three-room house with a room, a den and a chamber. The chamber is not in the plan axis of the room and the dissection. At the level of the first beam connection of the log cabin, there is a walkway (porch) with wooden formwork on the facade and the side wall to the entrance to the house. The log cabin stands on a high stone foundation. It is completely basement. This type of vernacular architecture records Polish influences.

Residential house from Jakubany

It belonged to the Krivoňák family, which built it in 1938. It consists of two spaces - a room and an autopsy room. In the dissection, cooking was done on an open hearth, behind which is the mouth of the bread oven. The stove was used in the room for cooking and heating. The interior of the house approximates an important family event - the birth of a child. The mother and child were lying on the bed, which was covered with a sheet.

The red decoration of the sheet and the needles stuck in it were supposed to protect the child and the mother from evil forces. The baby was bathed in a wooden tub. In the first bath, the grandmother poured holy water against the action of evil forces. The water from the first bath was poured under the tree. The bathed child was smeared with butter, wrapped in a cloth diaper and a pillow. A number of superstitions and customs are associated with the birth of a child, which were supposed to ensure the child’s healthy growth, happiness and wealth.

The wedding was preceded by quizzes and three announcements read in the church. After these events, the day of marriage finally approached. It was traditionally closed at the beginning of the week – on Monday morning. The wedding lasted three days. It started on Sunday evening with the farewell of young people. On Monday, she continued with the marriage and on Tuesday with the transfer of the young woman’s equipment to her mother-in-law’s house. The wedding feasts were modest, but full of gaiety and singing.

Residential house from Kremna

The owner of the house, Mikuláš Cicák, built it in the 1920s. Massive logs were used for the construction of the house, which they poured lengthwise. The house was built by master carpenters from Poland. It is three-room. An old hearth has been preserved here, consisting of an open hearth bread oven and a stove. Smoke rose from the morgue directly into the open attic. The interior of the house approximates a significant event in the life of the family - a wedding, which was associated with a wealth of customs and traditions.

Estate from Kamienka

The owner of the estate from the 1930s was Anton Kurcin. From a typological point of view, it is a one-story house, where the living part and the farm are located under one roof without mutual internal connection. The living part consists of a room and an anteroom. The economic part consists of a stable, a shed and a barn. The builders of this house were local carpenters. The owner of the homestead was landless.

The source of sustenance for a family with three children was the widespread tinkering craft and the breeding of breeding bulls. The interior of the house approximates the most difficult and saddest moment in the life of a family – death. From the moment of death, the household stopped the clock in the house, shot the mirror, put money in the dead man’s hand. The woman’s clothes from the marriage were put in the chest. The garment of innocence was supposed to protect the soul from the fire of purgatory. Many pagan elements have been preserved in the customs associated with death.

The blacksmith made agricultural tools, forgings for wooden tools and shoed horses and cattle. A covered area in front of the forge entrance was used for shoeing horses and cattle. The last blacksmith in this forge was Marcel Sekerák.

Kováčska vyhňa

Kováčska vyhňa comes from the village of Torysa. The owner, Bartolomej Sekerák, built it in the second half of the 19th century. It is a wooden log cabin one-room building in front of the entrance with a basement. Its internal equipment included a forge, where the blacksmith heated the necessary piece of iron and on the anvil, with heavy hammers, balls to the required shape.

Mill from Sulín

The mill consists of a mill and a living area for the miller's family. The mill is a wooden building with a basement and two floors. In the basement there is a transmission and drive device that ensures the operation of the entire mill. On the ground floor, there is technical equipment - a cylindrical stool and a grain peeler. A hopper for grain is placed in the middle of the floor. From it, the grain was pulled up into the basket by an elevator in wooden pipes, from where it fell onto the rollers.

The grinding was ground several times with rollers and then it was sieved into flour and scrap in the seeding boxes in the attic and on the ground floor. The mill worked all year round. At harvest time, they took a short break, which was necessary for minor maintenance of the technical equipment in the mill. The mill milled for the surrounding villages. Its last owner was František Pavliak, who in the 1930s rebuilt it from the original stone mill to a roller mill.

It is built of brick and stone,
smeared with clay and painted with deep blue lime paint. In the middle of the 20th century, the original owners – siblings Katarín and Vasiľ Šug – lived in the house. They did not modernize the interior of the house and thanks
therefore, everything original has been preserved here, which testifies to their humble and simple way of life.

House from Veľké Lipník

It was built according to the local building tradition in 1885. There is a three-room log cabin on a stone foundation, the joints are filled with dry moss and the inside with clay. The original fireplace in the room is located in a diagonal corner with a cult corner.

Similar chapels are often situated on prominent
places, intersections, cemeteries or where they commemorate a certain event. They have the form of a small building with a small interior space or niche, where a sacred statue or painting and decoration are placed. The construction of a copy of the chapel took place in 2014.

Chapel of St. Jozef

A copy of the chapel, the original of which is located next to the main road in the village of Hniezdne. Was built in 1730 and originally dedicated to St. to Joseph. The chapel represents the architectural type of small sacral buildings from the vicinity of Stara Ľubovna.

Dôležitý oznam!

Dňa 29. júna 2023 je hrad Ľubovňa z technických príčin zatvorený!
Skanzen pod hradom je otvorený od 9.00 – 19.00 h, posledný vstup o 18.00 h. Ďakujeme za pochopenie.